Stir Fried Fruit Crepes
So, I bought a wok. I’ve always wanted a wok, mainly because I love saying “wok”. The problem is I’ve been grossly misusing my wok. I use it to make sauces, to fry (not stir fry mind you) meat and for pretty much anything else. What I hadn’t used it for yet was actual stir frying; I mean, that’s really what it’s for, right?
Around the same time I was thinking about using the wok my sweet tooth was screaming “FEED ME!” I was trying to think of a treat that would leave me satisfied but not feeling guilty. What could I stir fry that would satisfy my sweet tooth? Was it even possible? I thought and thought about it and the idea of stir fried fruit was sounding better and better. Honestly, I was trying to sell myself on it.
To kill 2 birds with 1
stone wok I had to come up with a way to tie it all together. Stir frying fruit isn’t something I’m familiar with so it took a couple tries to get to this recipe. The crepes are so easy to make and can be made using whole wheat flour or rice flour to make them gluten free! The grapeseed oil is what brings this all together; the light flavor helps brighten and liven the flavors of the fruit. Fantastic – that’s the word I would use to describe these stir fried fruit crepes.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cup of whole or 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Pompeian Grapeseed Oil, + more as needed
- [b]Stir Fried Fruit[/b]
- 2 tablespoons Pompeian Grapeseed Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped pineapple
- 1/4 cup chopped mango
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup chopped bananas
- Gently whisk together the flour and salt in a medium bowl. Form a well in the mixture and add the eggs to the well. Carefully fold the egg into the flour and whisk to combine.
- Continue to whisk while you slowly add the milk.
- Allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1/4 teaspoon of Pompeian Grapeseed Oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet.
- Add about 1/4 cup of the batter to the pan and evenly spread it out
- Use a spatula to free the edges from the pan. Cook for 1 minute, or until the bottom is set.
- Flip the crepe and cook for 30 seconds and carefully remove from the pan, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Continue these steps to use the remainder of the batter, adding more oil as needed.
- [b]Stir Fried Fruit[/b]
- Heat your wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Once it’s hot add the Pompeian Grapeseed Oil and swirl the pan to thoroughly coat it. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the pineapple, mango, cinnamon and sugar to the wok. Stir fry for 3 minutes and add in the vanilla extract. Continue to stir fry for 1 minute and add the strawberries and bananas.
- Stir fry for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons (or more if you prefer) of the mixture over the crepes and fold. Serve with ricotta cheese or a dollop of whipped cream for a low fat treat anytime.