Spring has finally started to show it’s beautiful face around here. The birds are chirping and the smell of fresh cut grass is prominent I adore that smell. We’re also seeing strawberries plants blooming earlier than usual. Is there anything sweeter than fresh strawberries on a beautiful day?
This weeks Food Blogger Challenge happens to be for strawberries so I was excited. Sadly we don’t have any fresh strawberries ready for the pickin’ just yet. I used the next best thing, frozen strawberries, for a delicious strawberry cake. Strawberry cake has to be my all time favorite cake.
I can’t think of much that makes me as happy. The frozen berries don’t quite do what I want them to, but they do bring it as close as I’m going to get until I can use some fresh picked berries. I used a simple vanilla cream cheese frosting topped with sliced strawberries to finish the cake and let me just say: “YUM!“
This is a fairly dense cake, but not in a bad way. I know most people use a preserve or puree when making a strawberry cake, but I have to have those strawberry bits so just half mine. Check out the recipe and make sure you hop along to the other strawberry inspired recipes linked up below.
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup vegetabe oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups of strawberries, halved
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1½ cup strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 8 inch cake pans.
- Mix together the sugar and vegetable oil. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Slowly add the flour and baking soda and blend until creamy.
- Split the batter up between the 2 cake pans and bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cakes on a wire rack and let them come to room temperature.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and cream cheese. Slowly stir in the powdered sugar to reach the desired consistency.
- Frost the bottom layer of the cake and spread the sliced strawberries over the frosting.
- Add the 2nd layer to the top and finish frosting. Garnish with berries if desired.