Spring has finally started to show it’s beautiful face around here. The birds are chirping and the smell of fresh cut grass is prominent I adore that smell. We’re also seeing strawberries plants blooming earlier than usual. Is there anything sweeter than fresh strawberries on a beautiful day?
This weeks Food Blogger Challenge happens to be for strawberries so I was excited. Sadly we don’t have any fresh strawberries ready for the pickin’ just yet. I used the next best thing, frozen strawberries, for a delicious strawberry cake. Strawberry cake has to be my all time favorite cake.
I can’t think of much that makes me as happy. The frozen berries don’t quite do what I want them to, but they do bring it as close as I’m going to get until I can use some fresh picked berries. I used a simple vanilla cream cheese frosting topped with sliced strawberries to finish the cake and let me just say: “YUM!“
This is a fairly dense cake, but not in a bad way. I know most people use a preserve or puree when making a strawberry cake, but I have to have those strawberry bits so just half mine. Check out the recipe and make sure you hop along to the other strawberry inspired recipes linked up below.
Strawberry Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetabe oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups of strawberries halved
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese room temperature
- 1 stick unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup strawberries sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 8 inch cake pans.
- Mix together the sugar and vegetable oil. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Slowly add the flour and baking soda and blend until creamy.
- Split the batter up between the 2 cake pans and bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cakes on a wire rack and let them come to room temperature.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and cream cheese. Slowly stir in the powdered sugar to reach the desired consistency.
- Frost the bottom layer of the cake and spread the sliced strawberries over the frosting.
- Add the 2nd layer to the top and finish frosting. Garnish with berries if desired.