Valentine’s Day is a day to celebrate love, right? What better way to celebrate than with Dark Chocolate cupcakes filled with a delicious coconut filling and topped with unbelievable Dark Chocolate Frosting? Yea – I thought that would get your attention. See, people talk back, make you mad and hurt your feelings. Chocolate on the other hand… Chocolate is a friend indeed. No matter what chocolate is there for you – to comfort you, to brighten your day and to help you get over that someone who broke your heart.
Think of the one thing you’re most passionate about. These Mounds Cupcakes take that passion and intensify it times infinity – seriously. Whether it’s your job, your family, your car or your dog – these will make you love them all the more. Totally delicious and a lot easier than you may think.
To get started you need a box of dark chocolate fudge cake mix. Feel free to make your own from scratch if you want, but I use a box of Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix – it gets the job done. Prepare the mix, line your cupcake pan with liners and fill halfway. Follow the directions for the cupcakes.
While the cupcakes are baking prepare the Mounds filling *(recipe below – adapted from here)* and the dark chocolate frosting *(again, below – adapted from here)*. You’ll want to set them in the fridge to cool off while you’re waiting for the cupcakes.
When the cupcakes are done baking allow them to cool and score (cut x’s) into the center top of the cupcakes. Cut as far down as possible without going through to the lining.
Fill the newly formed holes with the coconut filling and then top with the dark chocolate frosting. The frosting will be thin so it’s more like pouring it (unless you add lots of powdered sugar). Chill them overnight to let the frosting set, or sit down with your cupcakes and indulge as much as necessary to feel the love of Valentine’s Day 🙂 They also make great gifts and treats if you’re spending the day with someone special.
Mounds Valentine’s Day Cupcake Filling & Frosting
Recipe Type: Dessert
- [b]For the Filling:
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups (1 can) of coconut milk[br]
- [b]For the Frosting:[/b]
- 1 cup powdered sugar + more to reach desired consistency
- 1 bag dark chocolate chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup canned evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- [b]For the Filling:[/b][br]
- Bring coconut and milk to a simmer over medium heat.
- Sift together the sugar and cornstarch then add to milk mixture.
- Stir the filling mixture continuously until it thickens; store uncovered in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- [b]For the Frosting:[/b]
- Combine everything but the sugar in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 40 seconds. Stir
- Return to the microwave for 20 more seconds.
- Remove the bowl (carefully) from the microwave and stir in sugar. Combine well, adding more sugar to reach your desired consistency.
- Stir in the fridge until you’re ready to use.