Soul Warming Homemade Chili Recipe
Winter’s not my favorite season. It’s actually probably my least favorite season of the 4. It’s cold, my electric bill rises and let’s not forget about that hour of sleep I’m still missing.
Face it, the best thing to come out of winter is warm soups, stews and chili’s. Oh, and hot chocolate – but that’s a given. This week I made my chili so I can dip into it when I get a chill.
Homemade Chili Recipe Ingredients
- 2 lbs. ground turkey or beef (tofu may also work)
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained (I use the light kidney beans for my homemade chili)
- 1 14 oz. Can crushed tomatoes
- 1 lg. can tomato sauce (28 oz.)
- 1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp. oregano or thyme or basil
- 1/2 cup chili powder
Homemade Chili Recipe Instructions
- Brown meat in a large skillet. Drain and dump into a large pot.
- Add tomatoes to pot and mix well. Continue adding the beans and the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cover the pot and cook on medium heat for 3 – 5 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching and sticking
Using ground turkey meat gives this Chili a little healthy kick. Adjust the chili powder to suit your family’s taste. Some like it more spicy and some like it as mild as possible. The beauty is it can be however your family likes it just by adjusting a few ingredients.