Easy Taco Casserole with Homemade Taco Seasoning
I’m all about easy meals, it saves time for Facebook! Tacos are something the guy and I love but the boy doesn’t care for them because, well, he doesn’t like messy food. I know, it’s strange. This easy taco casserole makes it so easy for John and I to enjoy tacos and my son enjoys it too.
Probably the best thing about taco casserole is how you can change it to fit your taste buds We like our food spicy, but you can tone it down if needed. I mix up the homemade taco seasoning while I’m browning the meat. When that’s done I break up the taco shells and put them in a large bowl. This way once the meat is browned all I have to do is assemble the taco casserole and pop it in the oven. See – easy!
- [b]Taco Seasoning[/b]
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- [b]Taco Casserole[/b]
- 1 pound lean ground beef, turkey or chicken
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 taco shells, broken into medium-small pieces
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- Brown your meat with the yellow onion, crumbling as it cooks. While that’s browning combine all ingredients for the taco seasoning; set aside.
- Drain the meat and return to the pan. Add the taco seasoning and water and stir well. Stir in the tomato sauce and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Cover the bottom of a medium size casserole dish with 1/2 of the crushed taco shells.
- Layer half of the meat mixture on the taco shells. Top with half of the cheese.
- Repeat the layering process and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream etc.. (Whatever you normally eat on your tacos.)