I know I can’t be the only person to buy canned pumpkin pie mix by mistake. You’ve done it, right?! I like to keep canned pumpkin on hand throughout the year for those cravings. I never pay much attention to the can when I pick them up so when I was cleaning my cabinets I found a can of Pumpkin Pie Mix.
I didn’t want to make a pumpkin pie so I did some experimenting and I’m so glad I did. The results are delicious for sure. These cupcakes are like Pumpkin Pie without the crust, with a yummy frosting. I’m even considering making the same mistake and buying more pumpkin pie mix just for this recipe.
If you’ve ever accidently bought pumpkin pie mix instead of a can of pumpkin don’t toss it. Try this recipe for Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes instead.
- 1 can Pumpkin Pie Mix (I use Libby’s)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon each: Cinnamon, Ground Cloves, Nutmeg, Allspice (or 2 tablespoons Pumpkin Pie Mix)
- 4 ounces (1 stick) of unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour muffin tins (or use liners)
- Combine the first 5 ingredients and blend well
- Beat in the sugar and spices
- Fill the muffin tins ¾ of the way full and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are baking prepare the frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer whip the butter and cream cheese with the paddle attachment. Gradually increase the speed until it is mixed thoroughly.
- Carefully add in the powdered sugar while mixing at low speed. Increase the speed once the sugar is in and mix until fluffy.
- Cool the cupcakes then pipe or spread the frosting on top.