Maryland Style Crab Cakes – The Best You’ll Ever Eat
Maryland Style Crab Cakes Recipe
Tonight while deciding on what to do for dinner I realized I hadn’t put any seafood recipes up yet. That’s pretty sad since my family (on my mom’s side) is from the Crab Capital of the World – Crisfield, MD. So, what better recipe to post tonight than one for the best Maryland Crab Cakes you’ll ever eat?!
I may be going a little overboard with that “the best you’ll ever eat” statement, but these are perfect in my book. The secret to Shore Style Crab Cakes is less filler more meat. You only want enough non crab meat to hold the cakes together. The fewer ingredients the better I say. Some people swear by peppers, onions, corn flakes – all kinds of craziness – not us. Not us though, we stick to the bare necessities when it comes to crafting our crab cakes.
Another secret is the crab meat; not only do you want it fresh but you want it in lumps too. None of that shredded, fine crab meat. Yes, some will end up shredded as you’re mixing it but keep it as lumpy as possible. There’s nothing like getting a mouthful of lump backfin crab meat when you bite into a crab cake.
One of my favorite memories from childhood is sitting in the yard with my grandfather picking crabs. He would pick them and break open the claws and I would sneak bunches at a time. The sweet succulence that is backfin claw meat is out of this world and no one does crabs like we do! Well, you can now that I’m sharing the recipe 🙂
- 1 pound picked over fresh backfin blue crab meat (if you can't get fresh crab meat you can substitute a can of crab meat - I recommend Philip's if you have to go that route.
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, carefully mixing to not over shred the crab meat.
- Form the mixture into patties and fry for 4 minutes and carefully flip over. Drain on paper towels before serving.
Also cgeck out these recipes:
Cream Cheese Lobster Rangoon Recipe
Crab Rolls Sliders Recipe
December 25, 2019 @ 11:13 pm
Waaaay too much Old Bay (2 tablespoons,) 1 would suffice for a pound of crabmeat. Yuck!